Thursday, July 06, 2006

Somewhat Random Thoughts, and yo Chris, nice to see you're enjoying China

Blatantly ripping off of Chris's post, I have decided to randomly say things also. So here we go:

Being unemployed has its downsides, but for the most part it's been good. My undead priest in WoW is nearing level 30 after three weeks, and I've been chipping away at Castlevania for the DS (which I convieniently left at Nick's house, along with Apples to Apples. Oops). Big Brain Academy has its amusing moments, so I pop that into the DS every once in a while. I also spend time daily debating with myself about the merits of putting only a single space before a sentence when typing. I have always used two spaces between sentences, but most people now seem to use a single space.

I really should unpack my bass. I've been playing piano for the most part, so I haven't really gotten the urge to snag the bass. Speaking of pianos, out of tune pianos bug me. I was at Irving's house and damn was his piano out of tune. Could play wrong notes and it'd sound just about as bad as playing the correct ones. And while I'm bitching about pianos, electric pianos also bug me. They just don't feel right. Sounds okay though, and doesn't have that out of tune problem.

Fourth of July was an interesting day. On the third, Irving suggested that we watch the World Cup game (Germany vs. Italy). He said it was at 8 in the morning, so on morning of the fourth I picked up Mike and went to Irving's house. Ends up the game was at noon, so we watched the Twilight Zone marathon and a Chuck Norris movie until 11:30.

Mike and I then left for Nolan's house for the bbq which started at 10 ("fashionably late", we called it). We got there, but then noticed that no one else was there. So I called Nolan, Nick and Stacy, in that order. First two didn't pick up. Stacy picked up and informed me that the bbq was moved to 1. So to whoever failed to inform me of the time change, screw you and your dog. Mike and I returned to Irving's house to watch the soccer game. During the transit back to Irving's, David Kau showed up at Nolan's and then called me with the exact same question I had for Nolan, Nick and Stacy. I redirected him to Irving's house, and we watched the game til a bit before 2, when it went into overtime.

So then David, Mike and I went to Safeway to pick up the stuff we were told to buy. We then shuffle over to Nolan's house at a bit after 2 (fashionably late, again), just in time to catch the second half of overtime, and to witness Germany's last minute loss to Italy. After the bbq (delicious meat. thanks to Nolan, Alex and Stacy for the food stuffs), we played some pool and then headed home. I guess the plan afterwards was to go with everyone to watch the fireworks, but I ended up spending the evening proof-reading English homework for a person in Korea. Actually, it was the person's brother's English homework. Some sort of script for a skit. I was about Soccer and love. Wacky stuff. So all in all, I got to listen to fireworks while I read about how an idiot of a soccer fan let soccer obsession piss off his wife/girlfriend/ambiguous. I then went to sleep early (11:30 abouts) cause I was tired from waking up at 7.

Wow, I've had a lot more to say about that day than I thought I did. Well, time to see if my economic manipulation of healing potions prices worked.

-tytl

P.S. I tried the DS Lite, and didn't like it. Too light and too small, and I don't like the pasty white color, so about the only improvements that I did like was the screen and stylus upgrades. Huzzah clunky plastic designs! Now to get it back from Nick's house...

2 Comments:

Blogger chrisracer said...

You must have freakishly large hands or something - the DS lite feels perfect in my hands. Is brain age good? Two years of binge drinking and sleep deprivation have taken their toll - I'd like to get some of those brain cells back.

7:03 PM, July 06, 2006  
Blogger Entitled2Octopus said...

...Kevin, no. Just no.

Lite vs non-Lite comes down to preference I guess. My brother has larger hands but prefers the smaller revisions for both GBA and SP, while I don't.

Brain Age is good for its sudoku feature. The other stuff is okay, but I think for most of us we'd just hit the best Brain Age of 20 and then stick there for a week or so before getting bored.

Big Brain Academy has a bit more to offer. No sudoku, but it doesn't have the "mostly perfect voice and handwriting recognition" issue, and a more polished feel.

As for if it does help the brain, with the exception of a very few select situations, probably not. If you're not doing your daily allotment of thinking, then it might, but on the other hand these games were made with people mid-aged and older in mind.

And for what it's worth, my copy of Big Brain Academy is actually my brother's, who has deemed it not what he wanted to play. I think it's not a bad game for $20. You can probably try it out at your local game store, so do that if you want to buy it.

4:05 AM, July 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home